Aussie Go for Gold Contest: Entries Now Closed

Started by LordPercy, August 03, 2008, 11:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

LordPercy

I thought it might be fun to have a contest that has something to do with the Beijing Olympics that will start in four days (Friday 8 August ). I'm calling it the Aussie Go For Gold Contest. All you have to do is guess the number of gold medals that Australia will win over the course of the games. To stretch the odds a bit you also need to guess the total number of medals, gold + silver + bronze that Australian athletes will win. Here are the rules:

The contest is open to all Knights irrespective of length of service or number of posts.
You will guess two numbers; the first is the number of Aussie gold medals that will be won, the second number is the total number of medals (gold + silver + bronze) that the Aussies will win.
One guess per member. (Gizmo and Vaughan are also eligible)
If more than one person guesses the correct number of gold medals won then closest to the total Australian medal count (high or low) will win.
In the event of a tie the person (or animal) who guessed first is the winner.
No edits to guesses allowed.
No drug cheats.
Guessing closes when Australia wins its first Gold medal.
I reserve the right to amend these rules if necessary.

The prize will be four GOLD (coloured) coins. One of each mintmark, C, M, S and B, of the new uncirculated RAM 2008 $1 coin "100 Years of The First Australian Coat of Arms" posted to anywhere in the world.

Good Luck and guess high.

Guesses so Far

7 Gold -26 total - Scottishmoney
13 Gold -47 total - Nevol
14 Gold -64 total - buda
15 Gold -52 total - Topher
15 Gold -55 total - Erik
16 Gold -49 total - AdamL
17 Gold -53 total - Tobyle
17 Gold -50 total - TwoShadows
18 Gold -61 total - ElleKitty
19 Gold -42 total - Arthrene
20 Gold -48 total - Coin Crusader
22 Gold -50 total - Nighthawk
24 Gold -58 total - KurtS
25 Gold -62 total - humpybong
27 Gold -108 total - Tiddyathome
36 Gold -88 total - Muckeye
37 Gold -122 total - triggersmob

KurtS

So I'll take it it's OK for 'Mericans to guess for Aussie golds?  ;D
I'll guess Australia takes 24 golds, 58 in total.

CoinCrusader42

Can I guess zero?

Just kidding!

I'll guess 20 gold medals.  Total 48.

:D :D :D :D


Nevol

I'll say 13 goldies for Oz with a total of 47 medals.
Ne♥ol~Nancy
KOTCT #46
Queensland, Australia
Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved.

ElleKitty

Do add this coin to my collection?
 
   Cat?      Australian?              US?                Really Old?
  |    |        |      |                   |    |                   |     |
Yes  No     Yes   No              Yes  No                Yes   No
  |       |     |       |                 |    |                   |     |
(YES!) (?) (Yes!) (?)           (Nope) (?)             (YES!) (?)

tyjulie


tiddyathome

27 for me  ;D tally 108.  ;D Cousin playing softball and friend over there for hockey. Ozzie ozzie ozzie.

arthrene

19 - gold
42 - total

Thanks for the contest!

Tobyle

My guess - 17 ........ and thanks for the contest, Lord Percy!

OK - REVISED GUESS ........17 Gold ....... Total medal count 53

Topher

Quote from: KurtS on August 03, 2008, 11:47:19 PM
So I'll take it it's OK for 'Mericans to guess for Aussie golds?  ;D
I'll guess Australia takes 24.

How about 'Mericans who are now Canadians, who once lived in Australia?  (And yes, I got to see the Sydney Olympics in person!  Woohoo!)

15 Gold
52 Total

Thanks for the contest.

scottishmoney

Quote from: Topher on August 04, 2008, 07:43:35 AM


How about 'Mericans who are now Canadians, who once lived in Australia?  (And yes, I got to see the Sydney Olympics in person!  Woohoo!)



Your family is just about as twisted with nationalities as mine. ;D  USA, Canada, Ukraine.

Oh, sorry Oz, me thinks only 7 golds, but duly earned an' appreciated all the while.

Triggersmob

Thanks for the contest Lord Percy. The games actually start at 8:08 on the 08/08/08, 8 being the lucky chinese number.

I will guess 37 gold medals and 122 in total.

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 260

AdamL

-Adam
Knight Of The Coin Table #103

TwoShadows

I have manage to get with Merlin on this one and HE says I should go with;

17 Gold
50 medals total

I think he was sober when I talked with him? ::)
Terry


"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)

ElleKitty

Do add this coin to my collection?
 
   Cat?      Australian?              US?                Really Old?
  |    |        |      |                   |    |                   |     |
Yes  No     Yes   No              Yes  No                Yes   No
  |       |     |       |                 |    |                   |     |
(YES!) (?) (Yes!) (?)           (Nope) (?)             (YES!) (?)

Humpybong



How about 25 Gold with a total of 62 medals

Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"

Nighthawk

I will say 22 Gold,  50 Total! ;D ;D ;D
NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

Muckeye

Muckeye ~ Knight #30

LordPercy

Entries are now closed!

Stephanie Rice, our Aussie Wonder Girl has claimed Australia's first gold medal in the 400m individual medley in the pool.

Good luck with your guesses everyone.

Tobyle


Erik

Hi, I think 15 gold and 55 total. But - maybe more  - If they collect medals more as coins.  :) :) :) :)
:D  Our castle is the best coin place on the world :D

LordPercy

Any objections letting Erik's guess stand? He is only a few hours late with his entry.

ElleKitty

Do add this coin to my collection?
 
   Cat?      Australian?              US?                Really Old?
  |    |        |      |                   |    |                   |     |
Yes  No     Yes   No              Yes  No                Yes   No
  |       |     |       |                 |    |                   |     |
(YES!) (?) (Yes!) (?)           (Nope) (?)             (YES!) (?)

KurtS

Give Erik a chance too!  ;D
I'm rooting for Australia this year.

Tobyle


CoinCrusader42

My guess will likely be far off.

Wasn't thinking too clearly when I made my prediction.

When I thought Australia, I thought tennis.  I forgot the Aussies also have some of the world's top swimmers.

Oh well, the more medals they win, the better.

My wife absolutely loves watching the Olympics.  I have only luke warm interest.

Anyway, Australia is my second favorite team at the Olympics.

:) :) :) :)

LordPercy

OK Erik, you're in. Good luck.

Coin crusader, I think you're pretty close with your guess. I think you've hit the nail on the head with the 48 total medals. From memory, I think we won 17 gold last year.

Erik

Thanks for all. I didn´t know that I was later. It is true because OH already was start. Please, give me a little understanding because I have problem with my English. My parents very help me but thay haven´t many time. I am very happy in this forum because here are many honest collectors and persons with lovely hearts. Sorry for my poor knowledge and English and I hope I will good friend for all because I love coins and all nice collectors in our Castle.  :) :) :)
:D  Our castle is the best coin place on the world :D

AdamL

Erik, your english is good enough for me too understand. I think your a welcome adddition to the Knights.
-Adam
Knight Of The Coin Table #103

LordPercy

Hey Erik, I notice that Slovakia won a silver medal today for shooting. Zuzana Stefecekova came second in the Women's Trap.

Erik

Yes. I glad you interest about my small country. I hope we will obtain some next medals in canoe slalom. (Pavol and Peter HOCHSCHORNER , Michal MARTIKAN ) And it is probably all. I could to make guest about gold medals for Slovakia. It is very easy -  Maybe 1 or 0  :D :D :D
:D  Our castle is the best coin place on the world :D

arthrene

This is helpful for anyone else trying to keep tabs on the Aussie (or any other country's) medal count

http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/INF/GL/95A/GL0000000.shtml

Erik

:D  Our castle is the best coin place on the world :D

scottishmoney

I am starting to hope Oz doesn't do too much better.  Sorry, but I wanna win this cointest. :D

Tobyle

At the rate it is going, I think you are going to be close to the mark Scottishmoney ...... especially when many of our hopes for the gold were tied up in the swimming!  I think many of us underestimated some of the rival competitors! Hopefully we will get a few more in the team sports. Don't get me wrong - I admire all competitors from all over who have even qualified for the Olympics - and I've loved seeing those competitors who have won the very first medal for his/her country either overall or in a specific sport.

Tobyle

Current count: 6 gold, 7 silver, 10 bronze. Total of 23 medals.

scottishmoney

As of now:

United States     16     15     19     50
China            27    12    6    45
Australia            7    8    10    25

Oz, #3 in the medal count, but think about it, Russia, Japan, Germany, all have larger populations.  Hmmm, land of athletes huh?

Tobyle

Yep - I think our Aussie athletes are doing fantastically well considering the population comparisons.

scottishmoney

Quote from: Tobyle on August 16, 2008, 06:39:20 PM
Yep - I think our Aussie athletes are doing fantastically well considering the population comparisons.

Considering Canada, Germany, Britain, Italy, France, Japan, S. Korea, they are all behind Australia.  By way of comparison, Canada has 30m people, Aus only 20m.

LordPercy

OK update time. Scottishmoney is gone with his guess of 7 gold with Nevol looking good at this stage with a guess of 13 gold. The count so far for Gold/Silver/Bronze/Total is:

Australia       11    10    12    33

I think there's still a chance of at least a few more gold medals so its anyone's game. Good luck everyone!
LordPercy

Topher

Quote from: Scottishmoney on August 16, 2008, 08:23:49 PM
Quote from: Tobyle on August 16, 2008, 06:39:20 PM
Yep - I think our Aussie athletes are doing fantastically well considering the population comparisons.

Considering Canada, Germany, Britain, Italy, France, Japan, S. Korea, they are all behind Australia.  By way of comparison, Canada has 30m people, Aus only 20m.

Australia always puts a lot of money and support into their athletes, especially when you average it out per capita, so this comes as no surprise.

scottishmoney

Glad to go down in the contest though, I am duly corrected in my beliefs on the capabilities of the Aussie sports machine ;D

Erik

OH are slowly ending and nice price don´t be in Slovakia  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( I think THE GREAT WINNER will be Nevol. I don´t know Australian sportsmen but I was near nice coins. Good lucky for winner.
:D  Our castle is the best coin place on the world :D

tyjulie


Erik

Sorry buda , you write small mistake , no one but two because 15 is correct  :D :D :D :D :D
:D  Our castle is the best coin place on the world :D

Erik

Quote from: buda on August 23, 2008, 03:29:46 AM
only need one more
Hi buda !!! Congratulation  - your one medal is here  :D :D :D
Lord Percy it was very good idea this contest. It is thriller !!!!  :D :D :D Thanks you for interesting game.
:D  Our castle is the best coin place on the world :D

Tobyle

What a dive that was for gold medal number 14!
Erik, we have one more contender for a medal in the marathon which is now in progress - about an hour and a half to go.

Lord Percy, I've enjoyed the competition as well - have always had an interest in watching the Olympic games, but this competition has added extra 'spice' to it! Thanks!

Humpybong



Thanks for the great competition Lord Percy

congratulations buda
Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"

Tobyle

Congratulations Buda!

........ and thanks again for the contest, Lord Percy.

ElleKitty

Congratulations to Buda for winning the contest!

A huge thank you to Lord Percy for hosting this contest!

And a huge congratulations to all the athletes that competed in this years Olympic games.  It doesn't matter who won the gold, silver or bronze.  What matters now is that they gave their best and represented themselves and their countries in a competition that sets the standard for International Sportsmanship and Cooperation.

Do add this coin to my collection?
 
   Cat?      Australian?              US?                Really Old?
  |    |        |      |                   |    |                   |     |
Yes  No     Yes   No              Yes  No                Yes   No
  |       |     |       |                 |    |                   |     |
(YES!) (?) (Yes!) (?)           (Nope) (?)             (YES!) (?)

Nevol

Well done Buda, Congratulations! 

A splendid effort from all Aussie Athletes, they never fail to do us proud!

Thanks to Lord Percy for the opportunity to 'compete'.
Ne♥ol~Nancy
KOTCT #46
Queensland, Australia
Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved.

LordPercy

Congratulations Buda for winning the contest! The final medal tally was:

Australia 14 gold, 15 silver and 17 bronze for a total of 46 medals.

Thankyou to everyone who entered. Buda, get back to me with your address and I'll post your prize off to you.



Triggersmob

Great job, Buda. Well done.

Thank you Lord Percy for the contest.

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 260

tyjulie

Thanks Lord Percey
And all the others.
lucky guess would liked to see more gold

LordPercy

Buda,
Your prize is in the mail.
I would appreciate it if you could post back here when it arrives.
LordPercy

ElleKitty

Do add this coin to my collection?
 
   Cat?      Australian?              US?                Really Old?
  |    |        |      |                   |    |                   |     |
Yes  No     Yes   No              Yes  No                Yes   No
  |       |     |       |                 |    |                   |     |
(YES!) (?) (Yes!) (?)           (Nope) (?)             (YES!) (?)

Erik

Notice for everybody : Attention !!!! Now I will prepare better. I will watching carefully australian sportsmen and for 4 years I will be WINNER similar beautifull price !!! :D :D :D
:D  Our castle is the best coin place on the world :D