Military Pay Certificate

Started by KurtS, September 20, 2008, 01:26:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

KurtS

I friend has a few of these, and perhaps someone here knows more? 
To my eyes, the style of the engraving (in particular the woman) appears WWI or earlier.  Thoughts?



reverse of a second note (same front)

scottishmoney

The artist that created the image of the young lady was John Eissler, he lived from 1873-1962.  Curiously the BEP had a habit of selecting much much earlier work from graphic artists for these notes, even though they were issued from the 1940's-1973.  My guess on this work without knowing his other works is that it probably dates to the 1910's or 1920's based on the style of her hair etc.

I know in the 661 Series, the $10 borrows an image from an earlier National Bank $20 from 1902 that was created by GCF Smilie ca. 1899-1900.

Here is an invaluable source of information on MPC's that I visit fairly regularly for research:

MPC Central

KurtS

Thanks, that's helpful...I'll pass it on.  :)
The later usage of that image makes sense, because the paper/printing does look more circa WWII or later--what an odd blend of styles.

scottishmoney

The Series 661 are my personal favourites of the whole MPC set:

Series 661 - 692 Pages

KurtS

Those are very nice notes--thanks for the link!  :)