My other collecting passions.

Started by Nighthawk, January 17, 2009, 12:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nighthawk

I also like collecting old paper items other than banknotes. On most of these items pictured below, I am CLUELESS! Just thought I'd post some items in the hopes that someone out there can shed some light or information on these objects for me. Hope you like them! Thanks.  :) This is from 1882.
NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

Nighthawk

Golf anyone? Better hurry though- this offer won't last long! LOL  ;D
NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

Nighthawk

And the prices on shoes these days!!! Yikes! $1.79 is a bit steep huh?  ::)
NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

Nighthawk

For those of you sports-minded folks:   :o  :o  :o
NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

Nighthawk

And for those of us who really want to look sharp........  ;D
NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

Nighthawk

Notice the Swastika? Interesting!  ;D
NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

Nighthawk

Cooperstown, New York  ;D
NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

Nighthawk

Something from 1888  ;D
NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

Nighthawk

And for those of us who drive Fords  ;D
NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

Nighthawk

Lottery ticket, South Viet Nam, 1964  ;D
NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

Nighthawk

Ilion Bank of New York, 1859  ;D
NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

Nighthawk

Irving National Bank, New York, 1869  ;D
NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

Nighthawk

Leather Manufacturers Bank, New York,  1852  ;D
NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

Nighthawk

Nassau Bank, New York, 1854 ;D
NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

Pocketcoins

Real nice, I like looking at old paper like that. I would not mind haveing a pair of the dress shoes, but then I'm kind of like the sports still.  ;D

Nighthawk

Also, Depression era scrip  ;D
NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

Nighthawk

And Disney dollars (my wife says that's a good likeness of me!) LOL  ;D
NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

Nighthawk

Anybody need tires?  ;D
NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

Nighthawk

But one of my favorite collecting areas is the Third Reich: Coins, stamps, postcards, covers, bonds, etc...
NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

Nighthawk

NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

Nighthawk

NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

Nighthawk

NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

Goose

An excellent German collection Nighthawk.....very intriguing items in excellent condition. I've also noticed that coins on eBay from The Third Reich have increased somewhat (25%-?) in the last 3 or 4 months.

S.George

 :D

Interesting items of golden times

George
It is by giving others, we actually receive from G

Eringobraugh

I like a lot of older stuff you have.....I myself will not go to an antique auction unless they are selling old papers!!!

the last auction I bought a box of misc old paper items that had report cards and booklets from the 1800s,also had a lot of world war 2 paper stuff(newspapers,GI material etc)..

I also used to collect old Stock Certificates
"If you wish to be a success in the world, promise everything, deliver nothing."
Napoleon Bonaparte

EgCollector

Very interesting Nighthawk, I've always loved old paper, cards, photos, ... actually everything old.  :)
Amr :) :) :)

Knight #107

Nighthawk

Does anyone else have other collecting passions besides me???  :)
NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

Triggersmob

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 260

Humpybong



I have a small collection of old cigarette cards.

Some I have full sets and other still looking for that odd one or 2
Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"

Templar

I HAVE A LOVE OF HOBO POST CARDS--MOST WERE SENT IN THE EARLY 1900S--THEY REPRESENT A TIME IN AMERICA WHEN OUR TRAINS RULED THE TRANSPORTATION OF PEOPLE AND PRODUCTS--IN FACT WHOLE CITIES ROSE UP AROUND THE RAILROAD STOPS--BUT WE DID NOT SEE THE VALUE THAT EUROPE SAW IN TRAINS AND WE ARE PAYING FOR THAT NOW--I HOPE YOU ENJOY A FEW OF MY HOBO POST CARDS AS MUCH AS I DO.

                THANKS--THE TEMPLAR
DRUID
HUMAN  RIGHTS DEFENDER
SWAGMAN/HOBO
BARD
TIME WAS INVENTED SO EVERYTHING WOULD NOT HAPPEN AT ONCE!

Templar

HERE IS ANOTHER CARD
DRUID
HUMAN  RIGHTS DEFENDER
SWAGMAN/HOBO
BARD
TIME WAS INVENTED SO EVERYTHING WOULD NOT HAPPEN AT ONCE!

Templar

AND ONE FOR THE ROAD AS THEY SAY.
         THE TRAVELING TEMPLAR
DRUID
HUMAN  RIGHTS DEFENDER
SWAGMAN/HOBO
BARD
TIME WAS INVENTED SO EVERYTHING WOULD NOT HAPPEN AT ONCE!

Nighthawk

There's no place like home......... there's no place like home...............  :)
NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

CoinCrusader42

President Obama visited Grand Junction, Colorado, a week ago today.  I added the Grand Junction newspaper front page of the event to my historical newspaper front pages, of which I have roughly 200.

BTW, I saw President Truman when he stopped in Grand Junction in 1948.  So, I'm sure I'm one of the few who saw the last two Democratic Presidents to visit western Colorado -- 1948, 2009

Also, Jimmy Carter likes to fish within 20 miles of Delta, where I live.  Next time he comes, I hope to wrangle an invitation to meet him.

:) :) :) :)

AdamL

Quote from: CoinCrusader42 on August 22, 2009, 10:34:08 PM
President Obama visited Grand Junction, Colorado, a week ago today.  I added the Grand Junction newspaper front page of the event to my historical newspaper front pages, of which I have roughly 200.

BTW, I saw President Truman when he stopped in Grand Junction in 1948.  So, I'm sure I'm one of the few who saw the last two Democratic Presidents to visit western Colorado -- 1948, 2009

Also, Jimmy Carter likes to fish within 20 miles of Delta, where I live.  Next time he comes, I hope to wrangle an invitation to meet him.

:) :) :) :)

Good ol' Truman. The only President from my home state of Missouri. Some people here love him, and some hate him, mainly because of his alleged ties to the Kansas City crime families.
By the way, I have alot of historic newspapers myself. I'll have to dig them out and find them one of these days  ::)
-Adam
Knight Of The Coin Table #103

Paint Your Wagon

If you define collector as somebody who wants something and then puts it away forever then I collect
Pocketbooks (softcover ) I have more then a 1000
Films : I have more then 250
Matchboxes like 100
Cigarbands like 100
LP 33 rpm I have like 300 vinyl
Postage stamps like most of Belgium up to 1971
Forums I left like 35
Havanna cigars like 1000 ( I no longer smoke )
Videogames
Still growing are coins and softcoverbooks and films and videogames
Where I am going I ain't certain
Where I am going I don't know
All I know is that I'am on my way

Templar


     I HAVE COLLECTED SOME OLD NEWSPAPERS BUT I WOULD LIKE TO TRADE OR SELL THEM OFF---I HAVE A CICIL WAR FRONT PAGE--SOME WWII MAGAZINES FROM GERMANY BUT I DON'T SPEAK GERMAN--AND SOME OTHER PAPERS FROM DETROIT SOMEWHAT OLDER THAN 20 YEARS AND A FEW ODDS AND ENDS MAGAZINES--WOULD HAVE TO HUNT THEM DOWN IF ANY ONEWAS TRUELY INTERESED--PRICES VERY NEGOTIABLE--CONDITION VARIES UT GIVEN THEIR AGES--NOT BAD!

         LET ME KNOW AND I WILL LOOK THEM UP THHIS WEEK AND LIST THEM IN AWHILE
                      YOUR SERVANT--THE TEMPLAR!
DRUID
HUMAN  RIGHTS DEFENDER
SWAGMAN/HOBO
BARD
TIME WAS INVENTED SO EVERYTHING WOULD NOT HAPPEN AT ONCE!

Nighthawk

Joe, I'd be interested in the German magazines from WWII.  :)
NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

Templar



        NIGHTHAWK--OUT OF TOWN FOR A FEW DAYS--WILL FIND THE NESPAPERS AND GET IN TOUCH LATER

                    YOUR SERVANT--THE TRAVELING TEMPLAR
DRUID
HUMAN  RIGHTS DEFENDER
SWAGMAN/HOBO
BARD
TIME WAS INVENTED SO EVERYTHING WOULD NOT HAPPEN AT ONCE!

Samuel Tan

First, when I was 7 or 8, I collect Stamps. Then around 14, I collect Coins. By 21 started collecting Girls. By 30, I get married. I got to drop everything and raised family. Work in Indonesia earning good money and I don't what to do with that. There are no good entertainment we like. My wife and I start collecting Chinese antique mainly Ming Dynasty Blue and White Porcelain. Move to the States, struggle to survived, I put all our hobbies aside. Now 59, get bored, start picking up my coin collection again. I am sure I will pick up Stamps again, but not the third hobby. Don't have the stamina and energy anymore. Chinese porcelains are hard to get and very expensive over here. Besides there are a lot of fakes and they got better over the time, so does number 2 and 3 :).
Before, as Indonesian, according to Indonesian law, we allowed to have 3 wifes (can't find serious face sign). But I am American now, got to drop some hobbies :(.
Samuel Tan

CoinCrusader42

Samuel,

Very interesting description of your hobbies!!!!

:D :D :D :D

Templar


  I DON'T THINK I WOULD LIKE TO COLLECT WIVES--ONE IS MORE THAN I CAN HANDLE AND I HAVE NEVER KNOWN COINS OR STAMPS TO ARGUE,COMPLAIN OR NAG!

              YOUR SERVANT--THE TEMPLAR!
DRUID
HUMAN  RIGHTS DEFENDER
SWAGMAN/HOBO
BARD
TIME WAS INVENTED SO EVERYTHING WOULD NOT HAPPEN AT ONCE!

Nighthawk

Hey Joe, what about the magazines from Germany you mentioned before? Still got 'em?  ???
NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

Nighthawk

NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

Nighthawk

FDC 500th Anniversary of the printing press 1952   ;D
NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

Nighthawk

NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

Nighthawk

FDC 1,000 Years of Polish Culture 1966   ;D
NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

EgCollector

very nice, thanks for sharing  :)

I like the FDC 500th Anniversary of the printing press 1952 and the FDC 1,000 Years of Polish Culture 1966.   :)
Amr :) :) :)

Knight #107

Nighthawk

Thank you my friend! Here is an old cover from India with an image of Queen Victoria. 1898.   ;D
NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

EgCollector

Nice, are these from the Michigan show you went to with Joe?  :)
Amr :) :) :)

Knight #107

Nighthawk

None of these are from the recent show. Some items posted here were from my old friend Sir George from India. The FDC's were bought at a stamp show last year.   :)
NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

Nighthawk

NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

Nighthawk

Another souvenir sheet from India   ;D
NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

Nighthawk

Postcard dated Sept. 16, 1909.   ;D  Notice something queer about this postcard? Can you see it?   ???
NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

Nighthawk

NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

Triggersmob

John, some very nice philatellic items you have there.
Thanks for sharing.
Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 260

Templar

THESE ARE QUITE A CROSS SECTION OF ITEMS........YOU KNOW MY LOVE OF LAUREL AND HARDY.......MAYBE YOU HAVE AN EXTRA ONE TO TRADE FOR ??? ??? ???.....


YOUR FRIEND AND SERVANT.........TEMPLAR
DRUID
HUMAN  RIGHTS DEFENDER
SWAGMAN/HOBO
BARD
TIME WAS INVENTED SO EVERYTHING WOULD NOT HAPPEN AT ONCE!

Nighthawk

Trade me something foreign for it, and it's yours! In the meantime.......... Stamps from the Solomon Islands, 1987   ;D
NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

Nighthawk

A souvenir sheet from Somalia, 1997. Nice kitty...........  ;D
NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

Templar

I WILL START TOLOOK FOR SOMETHING FOREIGN RIGHT AWAY ??? ??? ???
DRUID
HUMAN  RIGHTS DEFENDER
SWAGMAN/HOBO
BARD
TIME WAS INVENTED SO EVERYTHING WOULD NOT HAPPEN AT ONCE!

Nighthawk

Burundi 1965. A stamp that looks like a coin. LOL   ;D
NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

EgCollector

Quote from: Nighthawk on September 05, 2010, 10:25:07 PM
Postcard dated Sept. 16, 1909.   ;D  Notice something queer about this postcard? Can you see it?   ???

What ???
Amr :) :) :)

Knight #107

EgCollector

Very nice cards and covers, thanks for sharing  :)
Amr :) :) :)

Knight #107

Nighthawk

Look real close at the postcard Amr.   :)
NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

EgCollector

Amr :) :) :)

Knight #107

Nighthawk

It was an ancient symbol of the sun, and it became the symbol of tyranny.   :)
NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

EgCollector

Amr :) :) :)

Knight #107

Nighthawk

Look at the 4 corners my friend, and then you will see them.   :)
NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

EgCollector

LOL.... :-[

Thats why my mother used to tell me not to stay up late. ;D

OK ... i see it now  ;)


Nice card John  :)
Amr :) :) :)

Knight #107

Nighthawk

O.K.! You see the use of the SWASTIKA (1909) way BEFORE the Nazi's adopted it as their symbol for their party. It has become since then an evil symbol.   :)
NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971