1882 S $5 For sale

Started by nohope587, June 04, 2010, 10:40:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

NoHope587

I am no expert on US gold coins. I have an 1882 S $5 for sale.
The scans are about the best I can do,
There are hairlines visible on the coin using a loop. I don't know if these are from Circulation or from Cleaning. Generally cleaned coins have hairlines in one direction these are in all directions.

Numismedia FMV says $420 in XF

Asking $360 Shipped and insured in the USA I don't think i can ship international on this one unless you want to take the risk of customs seizing it.

Checks, USPS Money orders or paypal if you cover the fees or select Gift option.


Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

AdamL

Well, I can't afford it. But its a great coin.
-Adam
Knight Of The Coin Table #103

Templar

I WOULD BE INTERESTED AT THAT PRICE--PLEASE EMAIL ME WITH DETAILS

YOUR SERVANT-AND FRIEND.....THE TEMPLAR
DRUID
HUMAN  RIGHTS DEFENDER
SWAGMAN/HOBO
BARD
TIME WAS INVENTED SO EVERYTHING WOULD NOT HAPPEN AT ONCE!

NoHope587

Payment received coin in the mail thank you
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Paint Your Wagon

I don't know how I missed this post

But look around the stars on the 1882 side . No color difference in the fields between the
points and the fields around the points . That means NO mechanical cleaning however many hairline scars you may see ; they are from circulation. These coins are generally not dipped either .If it were dipped it would look yellower because of the bleaching of the copper content .

The grade may be low XF or VF. I am only specialised in MS; AU and high XF so this
is outside my expertise .

Nice troublefree coin
Congrats Templar :)
Where I am going I ain't certain
Where I am going I don't know
All I know is that I'am on my way

Templar

THANKS FOR THE INPUT PYW.......I AM VERY GLAD TO OBTAIN THIS COIN AT THIS PRICE.........I ONLY HAVE A FEW GOLD COINS AND WHEN THIS WAS LISTED I DIDN'T THINK I WOULD BE ABLE TO GET IT....I WILL SIT ON THE PORCH AND WAIT FOR THE MAIL TO COME OR ANY FEMALES ALSO.......MY WIFE SAID I COULD LOOK BUT NOT TOUCH......THE FEMALES THAT IS....NOT THE MAILS


   WILL KEEP YOU POSTED...............THE TEMPLAR
DRUID
HUMAN  RIGHTS DEFENDER
SWAGMAN/HOBO
BARD
TIME WAS INVENTED SO EVERYTHING WOULD NOT HAPPEN AT ONCE!

scottishmoney

Quote from: Paint Your Wagon on June 15, 2010, 04:19:12 AM
I don't know how I missed this post

But look around the stars on the 1882 side . No color difference in the fields between the
points and the fields around the points . That means NO mechanical cleaning however many hairline scars you may see ; they are from circulation. These coins are generally not dipped either .If it were dipped it would look yellower because of the bleaching of the copper content .

The grade may be low XF or VF. I am only specialised in MS; AU and high XF so this
is outside my expertise .

Nice troublefree coin
Congrats Templar :)

We could have a whole discussion on grading of gold coins - and alleged cleaning.  I say alleged for a reason, because often times gold coins got rubbed etc in circulation - only difference betwixt them and silver, or bronze, is that they are softer and show the tell-tale signs.  But referring to them as cleaned is ridiculous and really only serves the "grading" profiteers.

Paint Your Wagon

Hélas Scottisch
There are more idiots and children and housewifes in this world with cleaning mania then you reckon with
I gave a negative feedback to a guy who sold me two cleaned coins with bad pictures

It is really a pity because they are original strikes (not restrikes) and would have graded MS62 and MS63 without cleaning

The 1904 Marianne Rooster looks pasty because of the cleaning which was done by an idiot with Sodiumbicarbonate and then badly washed so that you see under a 10x ledloupe the scratsches and powder paste in the O of 20 francs and in the last lettres of Fraternité at 4 o'clock. An acetone wash would have cleaned the coin without trace. No trace; no cleaning ( No corpse no murder)


Where I am going I ain't certain
Where I am going I don't know
All I know is that I'am on my way

Paint Your Wagon

This is the same date 1904 MS63 from a reputable french dealer
Note the grime ( dirt ) in the lettre P of République and the dirt attatched to the last T of
of Fraternité . A little rosebush torn would probably take those away but now everyone can see they are real and uncleaned
Also notice the difference in color ; this coin has strikelustre ( Matte and slightly bluish in places; due to cartwheeling )

Where I am going I ain't certain
Where I am going I don't know
All I know is that I'am on my way

scottishmoney

I am discussing the difference between the scratching that coins get from circulation in pockets, coin purses etc vs other coins - but to grading companies there is not a whole lot of difference.  I agree that people indeed clean coins, but really it is inexplicable primarily for gold as it itself doesn't tarnish.  Of course there are fools that sell, and more fools that buy this garbage.  I am concerned that circulation coins get the dreaded "genuine" because of actual circulation and not so much cleaning.  I have some coins I can image that came "genuine" and that I cracked out of holders.  I buy them for gold only.

Paint Your Wagon

Cleaning mechanically without leaving prove is an art few do master.
The only method I know mechanically is a camel brush with long hairs and hours of practice.

When somebody puts a coin on ebay saying it is uncirculated and I buy in good faith and get a cleaned coin ; I get angry . And when the person than says he is not responsible for the cleaning I give a very acid negative because whatever I paid I lose 10% numismatic value.

I decided with my coindealing friend that to have a mixture of gold coins and numismatic goldcoins was optimal. Sofar after 10 years of bull ; margins are still rising ; not falling .
Where I am going I ain't certain
Where I am going I don't know
All I know is that I'am on my way

scottishmoney

If I don't like the picture, it isn't big enough, clear enough - I move along.  It has been awhile since I have bought coins on fleaBay anyway.  Frankly I don't put too much stock into seller's descriptions - often times they don't even know coins that well anyway. 

Paint Your Wagon

Quote from: scottishmoney on June 15, 2010, 12:12:54 PM
If I don't like the picture, it isn't big enough, clear enough - I move along.  It has been awhile since I have bought coins on fleaBay anyway.  Frankly I don't put too much stock into seller's descriptions - often times they don't even know coins that well anyway. 

Absolutely right
Last guy gave all kinds of guarantees about a french Monnaie de Paris 350 pieces only proof coin amongst which was that it had no red spots ( silver contamination ) and when it arrived it was full of red spots on the rim ( the last 7 years more often then not the MDP coins have red spots like the German coins and even the Chines coins because the makers of the blanks have a silver run and then badly clean their line and proceed with gold blanks leaving silver surface traces on the gold and the silver oxydizes and gives red spots)

The seller had 900 sales and 100% positive feedback and he confessed he did not even have a loupe to look at the coins . So gone are is 100 % pos feedback .  ???
Where I am going I ain't certain
Where I am going I don't know
All I know is that I'am on my way

scottishmoney

Today I saw a Swiss 1 ounce piece from the 1990's that had a large ugly red spot on it from some contamination or another.  I cannot even imaging buying something like that.

Paint Your Wagon

Quote from: scottishmoney on June 15, 2010, 07:25:42 PM
Today I saw a Swiss 1 ounce piece from the 1990's that had a large ugly red spot on it from some contamination or another.  I cannot even imaging buying something like that.

Strange . The pre 2000 coins are more troubled by green spots wich solvent away with acetone . ( copper based spots)
Since the red spots are silver based on non proofs they can be removed with a silver dip.
Where I am going I ain't certain
Where I am going I don't know
All I know is that I'am on my way