West Wallsend Dole Tokens

Started by Humpybong, May 21, 2015, 06:00:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Humpybong


I have purchased these West Wallsend Co-0perative Society tokens (pictures attached).   

I understand they are called Dole Tokens from around 1932.

The Carlisle, Mira, Howard 1995 Australian Bread Tokens book states:

Allegedly used during the depression as change or discount for purchases made with Government Relief cheques. They could be used for further purchases, which would have included bread.

These are pictures from ebay as I have not been able to scan the ones I received.   I am still after the shilling token but have all of the others.  In fact I have 3 x Threepence and 4 X Sixpence Tokens.




IMG]http://i61.tinypic.com/sxoz28.jpg[/IMG]














Now if I can only find the shilling.........

















Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"

Triggersmob

Good luck with your search for the 1/- token.  :)
Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 260

MattTheRiley

Really cool!  What a different world it must have been back then.
Hiding in Oregon, USA

Humpybong


Well was at our annual ANDA Coin SHow last weekend but did not find the !/- token.

However did find another penny token so can start a second set.   Already have a 2nd threepence and sixpence.

;D
Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"