My lone "moldy" Morgan

Started by Dumanyu, November 12, 2007, 12:10:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Dumanyu

Descent enough shape, but the only Morgan I have. These are just too expensive to really try to collect a set.


AdamL

Well, your right, you gotta be rich to try to put together a whole set. But I like to buy an attractive common-date peice every once in a while.
-Adam
Knight Of The Coin Table #103

Dumanyu

Adam,
    This is actually the second Morgan I've ever owned. I had one previously that a freind gave me for "ballpark" grading a bunch of U.S. coins she inherited. She gave me a Morgan with a big ding near the Eagles wing, and a '23 Peace Dollar (also the only one I had).

TwoShadows

Well guys you don't have to be rich to put together a set of Morgans as I did it! Well everything except the 1895 proof! You do have to be dedicated and prepared to spend way above average for quite a few of them even in low grades. Both my wife and I tackled the project at the same time (2 sets) and I won out. She did pay more attention to high grades than I did but in the end I suppose we were 60% to 70% with uncs. and she only lacked a few coins of having a full set as well. Her Carson City"s were immacculate as well as most of the key dates. My key dates killed any chance of a unc. collection and a loss of a 28 year job killed my keeping what took years to collect but I can say I did do it and my dealer can say he was glad I did and very glad I sold them years later! I know, with todays prices, I couldn't tackle the set again but I sure enjoyed doing it the first time.
Terry


"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)

dustin43160

i also have only one morgan which i paid an old man 7 dollors for it hehe it was before i knew about coins and thought it might be fake  ;D

CoinCrusader42

I have 20 to 30 of them.

Picked up all of them for face value while attending college back in the 1960's.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Dumanyu

Quote from: Twoshadows on November 12, 2007, 07:07:08 AM
Well guys you don't have to be rich to put together a set of Morgans as I did it! Well everything except the 1895 proof! You do have to be dedicated and prepared to spend way above average for quite a few of them even in low grades. Both my wife and I tackled the project at the same time (2 sets) and I won out. She did pay more attention to high grades than I did but in the end I suppose we were 60% to 70% with uncs. and she only lacked a few coins of having a full set as well. Her Carson City"s were immacculate as well as most of the key dates. My key dates killed any chance of a unc. collection and a loss of a 28 year job killed my keeping what took years to collect but I can say I did do it and my dealer can say he was glad I did and very glad I sold them years later! I know, with todays prices, I couldn't tackle the set again but I sure enjoyed doing it the first time.

Terry,
     Thanks for making my point ;). You have to spend way over value, for a less then stellar coin. As I've stated in the past, I can bring 100 dollars to a coin show, and get 5 -10 new countries for my collection, or I can buy a fifth of a Morgan in F. Probably not.

TwoShadows

And my point was, at one time, the average collector could put together a set of Morgans. But today, due to demand, the explosive market and precious metal prices I could not do the same. Prices have reached a point where one must do as you described by making choices. I have over the last few years found my collecting habits changing, for various reasons, and never enjoyed collecting more since I went "world" wide in my interests.
Terry


"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)

Dumanyu

Terry,
    You hit the nail on the head. World coins have so much more variety to offer, be it German States, one from every country, or a country set. There is a bunch of different ways to go.

Madspec

Why don't you make a year set, don't worry about mint marks just one from each year.  The 1893 will be the most expensive but still it makes a great looking set.

madspec
SIR MADSPEC  KNIGHT #57
TO SERVE WITH Honor,Respect,and Loyalty

S.George

 :D

Dear Friends:

I have completed the Morgan P, D, S, O  COMPLETE SET a few years  ago.  The 1893s Morgan was slabbed and certified and few others, also slabbed.

Several U.S. Friends helped me, to make it possible.   IT TOOK 3 YEARS TO COMPLETE THE COLLECTION, for a person living far away from U.S.   For those who live in U.S. can do FASTER THAN ME.   Just give a try.   It is worth it.

Now I am assembling BARBER HALVES.   Any help through trade will be appreciated very much. 

WISH YOU ALL A MERRY CHRISTMAS

Sincerely
George/India
It is by giving others, we actually receive from G