New Zealand 1956 Penny - Strapless

Started by Triggersmob, August 21, 2026, 12:49:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Triggersmob

Another coin just added to my collection, thanks to Tane in New Zealand.
1956 strapless penny (no sign of a strap over QEII's shoulder). I believe the die was re-cut later, to make it appears as if there was a strap.
This coin completes my pre-decimal NZ circulation coin set.

1956 New Zealand Penny - Wirh Strap.jpg

If Tane comes over to this forum, we may need to add a NZ section.
Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 260

Redlock

Quote from: Triggersmob on August 21, 2026, 12:49:30 AM1956 strapless penny (no sign of a strap over QEII's shoulder).
This coin completes my pre-decimal NZ circulation coin set.

Congrats on this achievement.  8)

A long time ago, I decided NOT to go into the pre-decimal rabbit hole of Aussie and NZ coins. One has to draw a line somewhere  ;)
Germany

Triggersmob

Thanks Ralf.

With the price of silver now, it would be even harder to set into those pre-decimals.
Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 260

gweidion

Quote from: Triggersmob on August 21, 2026, 12:49:30 AM1956 strapless penny (no sign of a strap over QEII's shoulder). I believe the die was re-cut later, to make it appears as if there was a strap.


Thanks for the lesson. I was wondering. I wasn't sure if it was wear.

Triggersmob

Quote from: gweidion on August 21, 2026, 10:27:24 AM
Quote from: Triggersmob on August 21, 2026, 12:49:30 AM1956 strapless penny (no sign of a strap over QEII's shoulder). I believe the die was re-cut later, to make it appears as if there was a strap.


Thanks for the lesson. I was wondering. I wasn't sure if it was wear.

I suppose wear could also happen on the later coins and appear like a strapless. I guess you can only really judge which one it is on a relatively unworn coin.
Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 260

Triggersmob

Added in the penny with strap as a comparison.
Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 260

Redlock

I think I need to see an ophthalmologist because I cannot see the/a difference between strap/no strap.

Having said that I am notoriously bad at recognizing errors, varieties, ectr.  ;D
Germany

Triggersmob

It's just the little arc over the shoulder.
Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 260

Redlock

Is the thing which I have circled the ''strap?''

Germany

Triggersmob

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 260

Tanecoins

You're welcome Steve.

Yes the shoulder strap was added in 1956, as the original portrait did not have that detail. For 1956 an estimated 50k of strapless pennies was minted compared to 3.6 million pennies with the strap. I have shown 2 cupronickel coins of the same type that show the difference.

You can get a "strapped" 1956 penny for 10c, the strapless is $35 or more for an average Fine one and $2k for a UNC one.

Coin on the left shows no detail in shoulder block, where as the coin on right you see a line at top of shoulder and another one diagonally showing the shoulder strap.
Numismatist and purveyor of fine coins

Triggersmob

Correct me if I'm wrong Tane, but I think the strap was added because the queen looked "topless" on the early version. Is that correct?
Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 260

Redlock

Quote from: Tanecoins on September 30, 2026, 04:40:26 PMYou can get a "strapped" 1956 penny for 10c, the strapless is $35 or more for an average Fine one and $2k for a UNC one.

Wow  :o
Germany

Tanecoins

Quote from: Triggersmob on October 01, 2026, 03:50:29 AMCorrect me if I'm wrong Tane, but I think the strap was added because the queen looked "topless" on the early version. Is that correct?

I have never heard that theory, but did hear the first undetailed bust of the Queen wore too quickly and they wanted a more quality one, so it was recut sharper and placed into use in late 1953 in the UK, but took time to filter around the dominions and colonies.
Numismatist and purveyor of fine coins

Triggersmob

Thanks Tane. I'll run with that. Seems more feasible.
Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 260

Tanecoins

Its a funny story though, especially as in 1953, the Queen may have been a bit of a looker and that year was also when the first Playboy was issued showing a topless spread of Marilyn Monroe.

My guess is anyone publishing "topless" images of Her Majesty, may have ended up in the Tower as Treason was still a death offense up to 1989 and in 1953, people were still being hanged in most Commonwealth places.
Numismatist and purveyor of fine coins

Triggersmob

Now I need to go find that copy of Playboy.  ;D
Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 260