A Beauty on an American MPC

Started by scottishmoney, June 02, 2008, 01:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

scottishmoney

For those not familiar with MPC's, they are less known as Military Payment Certificates, and they were used by US servicemen overseas, beginning in Europe after WWII, and ending in SE Asia in the 1970's.  Being a military brat, we of course got a few of these from my father after he finished his sentence in SE Asia in 1973, we played with them like play money.  At least I saved a few.  Now I collect many of them avidly because of the attractive feminine vignettes.

This is my most recent acquisition, series 611 $1



The lady is "Tiara" and she was a creation of graphic artist Charles Chickering.  Another example of 20th century art finding her way to paper money.  I like the curious positioning of her eyes, as though she is looking off to the right and not facing the viewer.

AdamL

Very nice. I also like the way she is looking off to the side.
-Adam
Knight Of The Coin Table #103

Humpybong


I agree Adam, nice note and nice lady.

Nicely designed and the pose is great art
Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"

Nighthawk

Very nice Dave! Beautiful note! ;D
NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

Paint Your Wagon

Very nice
Left is the past so she is looking to the past knowing the future is dimming
Where I am going I ain't certain
Where I am going I don't know
All I know is that I'am on my way