1923 Lincoln Cent Today

Started by scottishmoney, June 18, 2008, 04:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

scottishmoney


Latest in the post.  Just so fresh and lovely, but 85 years young ;D


Nevol

Ne♥ol~Nancy
KOTCT #46
Queensland, Australia
Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved.

Humpybong



WOW!   Very, very nice....drool...... :D
Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"

Triggersmob

Beautiful coin, Scottish.

A lot better looking than my 1923.
Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 260

CoinCrusader42

I have the same quality of Lincolns!!

Of course, they are 2008's.

That's a beautiful coin Scottishmoney.

:) :) :) :)

ElleKitty

No, that coin is far more lovely than any 2008 coin could hope to be. :(  Even as bright and shiney as it is it has a ... maturity, an air, an aura about it that just exudes ... perfection.  Sigh.

I should go to bed. Good heavens I'm being silly tonight.
Do add this coin to my collection?
 
   Cat?      Australian?              US?                Really Old?
  |    |        |      |                   |    |                   |     |
Yes  No     Yes   No              Yes  No                Yes   No
  |       |     |       |                 |    |                   |     |
(YES!) (?) (Yes!) (?)           (Nope) (?)             (YES!) (?)

TwoShadows

Every time I see such a coin I can't help but thank the coin collectors before us who had the foresight to protect and preserve such items. Back then that cent had purchasing power but some individual who was hooked on coin collecting just knew, in the back of his mind, someday this lowly cent just might be worth something if I take care of it. THEY were RIGHT. Thanks for the photo Scottishmoney. It kind of reminds us of MANY reasons why we collect coins. ;)
Terry


"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)

scottishmoney

The story on this coin, it is from an original roll, that was apparently found in the back of a safe by someone.  Except for the end of roll coins, all the coins from this roll graded very very high.  I had to have it when I saw the image, you just don't see 85 year old coins with this kind of mint lustre, a lot of higher priced coins aren't this nice.

KurtS

That's a very nice full-red coin for that time. You see very few early Lincolns like that without some toning.
The fact that it was found in an original roll explains the condition--the end coins would react with elements like sulphur and thus protect the interior coins from toning.

Goose

You'll also notice that the profile of Lincoln's head of that 1923 is quite high, NOT like the common zincolns (a flat, meaningless profile) of today.

scottishmoney

Quote from: Goose on June 21, 2008, 01:27:36 PM
You'll also notice that the profile of Lincoln's head of that 1923 is quite high, NOT like the common zincolns (a flat, meaningless profile) of today.

Some of the 1968-1969 and 1972 cents also had a very high profile too.  For the most part until the spaghetti haired flat head Lincolns came in 1982, cents usually had high profiles.