British Shillings (rare) 1702, 1709

Started by NumisMatty, August 01, 2008, 04:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

NumisMatty

Just thought I'd show off my recent acquisitions  ;)

The first coin was made from silver originally captured from a Spanish fleet off the coast of Vigo, a port in northern Spain, during the wars. Both of these are rare, being hard to find in these grades. The rarest is the Vigo, which cost me twice as much as the latter coin, even though that is a better VF.

VIGO Shilling 1702






Shilling 1709





Some whoppers!  :o

Nighthawk

Great looking coins. I like the older British stuff myself. I have a coin for every English monarch going back to King James I! My goal is to collect at least one coin from every British ruler as far back as I can go!
NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

CoinCrusader42

I have the exact same goal.

My oldest is King William IIII, 1831.

Factors preventing me from working toward that goal are 1) Funds, and 2) Sources.

Can anyone suggest coin businesses where I could obtain older English coins. at a reasonable price?

:) :) :) :)

Nighthawk

I know what you mean about funds. I have the same problem. My main sources are the auctions at the 2 local coin clubs I belong to, and a second source is the larger shows in the Detroit area where I live, which happen twice a year. Are you looking for gold? Silver? Copper coins? If you are looking for copper stuff, I can maybe hook you up with some George I, II, III stuff. I might have some items from that time frame I could part with. We could trade something? I also collect foreign coins/paper money, U.S. coins, old checks, Nazi Germany stuff, etc... Can we work out a trade? Let me know........ Thanks!  :) :) :)
NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

Humpybong



Oooooh....very nice,

I also collect early British coins, trying to get together a type set for each King/Queen.

Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"

Nighthawk

What do you have? What do you need? Maybe I can help! ;)
NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

ElleKitty

Beautiful coins, Sir Matty!

I am envious of you, truly.  And by the by, Welcome back to the Castle!  I've missed your presence and lovely pictures. :D  That yellow cloth is so distinctive.
Do add this coin to my collection?
 
   Cat?      Australian?              US?                Really Old?
  |    |        |      |                   |    |                   |     |
Yes  No     Yes   No              Yes  No                Yes   No
  |       |     |       |                 |    |                   |     |
(YES!) (?) (Yes!) (?)           (Nope) (?)             (YES!) (?)

CoinCrusader42

Thanks Nighthawk,

I'll see if I have anything to trade.

:) :) :) :)

NumisMatty

Quote from: ElleKitty on August 02, 2008, 10:25:07 AM
Beautiful coins, Sir Matty!

I am envious of you, truly.  And by the by, Welcome back to the Castle!  I've missed your presence and lovely pictures. :D  That yellow cloth is so distinctive.

Well is was you that encouraged me to come back...

Oh yes, I still use those yellow cloths - they induce eBay bidders to give me inordinate amounts for random unusual pieces...