Oldest Cent Ever Found In a Box Search

Started by scottishmoney, September 01, 2008, 09:16:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

scottishmoney

Oldest Cent Find In Circulation Ever
Yesterday I bought $50 worth of cents in rolls in boxes. By the near the end of the second box I came up with my oldest Lincoln find ever in a box:



Unfortunately Lincoln has an apparent gun shot wound in his cranial region, but this coin does have the VDB. In the last year I have gotten a couple of 1910's but never a 1909. This coin is 99 years old, just incredible, what with the 100th anniversary of the Lincoln cent next year, to find one from the first year in a box bought at the bank.

So the date runs of the finds go as following:

1909 VDB, but of course
1919
1928
1929
1934
1940
1941 X 2
1944 X 3
1945
1946 X 4
1949-D
1953-D
1955-D
1957-D X 2
1958

San Francisco
1968
1969 X 7
1970 X 5
1974

Canada
George VI
1939

Elizabeth II
1953
1956
1959 X 2
1961
1962 X 2
1963 X 3
1964 X 5

1967 Centennial

Nighthawk

NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

KurtS

Very nice to find a VDB in any grade!  :)
Btw, do you check 70-S for small dates? It's a bit of a longshot, but they're still found in circulation.

scottishmoney

A bit ago I cleaned out the box where I keep all these, literally envelopes, plastic baggies etc. full of finds from the past couple of years, there are hundreds of wheats, older Canadians, Euro coins etc.  I am going to do just that, go back and check for varieties.

OldDan, if it had been a 1909-S VDB I would have soiled my breeches, and been proud of it. ;D

KurtS

Btw, here's a good reference on 70-S SD attribution. I've cherry-picked a few of these at dealers, but never found one in circ.