1833 Counterfeit Bust Half Dollar

Started by Bonedigger, November 12, 2008, 04:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bonedigger

Team,

I received this coin today from an internet seller and as suspected it is a definite counterfeit.  Amazingly, the weight was almost spot on at 13.5 grams using my little electric coin scale; which I calibrated just before weighing the piece.

The wear/nicks seems rather 'edgy and rough' and not like the other VF-EF-XF Bust Halves which I collect.  Additionally, the feel is wrong too and there is no (silver) ring when dropped on a hard surface.  Take a close look at the edge lettering as well, I tried to capture it using my old camera, but as you can see it's pretty well done...

Please be on the lookout for similar pieces.

Take Care
Ben



scottishmoney

I was hoping that if it was a counterfeit that it least it would be a contemporary piece.  Unfortunately this has many of the hallmarks of the Shanghai minted pieces.

Bonedigger

I've tried to contact the seller with the news, but have received no response yet.

Ben

S.George

 :D

Beware of one

empressment_seller   also known as

wensy.com.best.goods_2008
giving the address in England.
on e-bay.

But the coins are shipped from China.   ALL COUNTERFEITS.

George
It is by giving others, we actually receive from G