1793 'Druid's Head' Half Penny

Started by Bonedigger, November 15, 2008, 10:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bonedigger

I was hoping there might be someone who could provide any additional information about this piece.

Take Care and Thanks
Ben


AdamL

Interesting. I've never seen anything like it.
-Adam
Knight Of The Coin Table #103

TwoShadows

And I was hoping he would sell it cheap!!! :'(
Terry


"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)

scottishmoney

Didn't one of those North Wales halfers get muled with a Washington obverse?

Bonedigger

Thanks to all those who chimed in.  The edge lettering on this one says " CURRENT EVERY WHERE."

Take Care Friends
Ben

Nighthawk

A very interesting piece of history you have there, Ben.  Thanks for sharing!  :)
NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

TwoShadows

Perhaps or 2009 medallions should be an "old style" tribute to the Knights of old with a design such as this one? Would be an interesting modern day version of a unique time in world history wouldn't it. Of course the dragon would have to be well represented as well. I do believe those coins we dream of, for one reason or another, are our dragons in this hobby!
Terry


"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)

Nighthawk

Sounds like a great idea Terry! I like it!  :)
NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

Goose


NumisMatty

Aha!  :o The Parys Mining Company Druid Head Half-Penny - from Anglesey which is an island just off the coast of northern Wales.  8)

Here's a link: http://www.abccoinsandtokens.com/DH.Anglesey.387.001.html

I can't tell you  a huge amount about them but it's one all Conder collectors should be familiar with..

Bonedigger

Thanks Numismatty, appreciate the information. :)

Take Care
Ben