Question on a couple of coins.

Started by AdamL, January 11, 2009, 09:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AdamL

First is this British 2 shillings coin. I'm wondering what Fid Def means.
-Adam
Knight Of The Coin Table #103

AdamL

I thinkI've heard it before, but I can't remember.
-Adam
Knight Of The Coin Table #103

AdamL

And, is this one from Norway?
-Adam
Knight Of The Coin Table #103

AdamL

-Adam
Knight Of The Coin Table #103

Yass

AdamL
The coin is from Norway
Check out the following site. It's easy to find a coin there, unless its an arabic coin which have funny dates and usually nothing to tell you which country they come from.

Gallery of World Coins

Triggersmob

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 260

Sap

Yep, "Defender of the Faith". Originally a title bestowed by the Pope on King Henry VIII for openly opposing the Reformation. When Henry went Protestant himself, he and his descendants continued to use the title, to signify their headship of the Church of England.

It also appears on Australian predecimal coins, normally abbreviated as "F:D:". I believe Australia and Britain were the only countries in the Empire/Commonwealth to routinely include this title on the coins. Early series Australian coins of Elizabeth II are known as "Godless coins" because the Mint forgot to include "F:D:" in the titles.
KoCT #21

The early bird gets the worm, sure, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

scottishmoney

Quote from: Sap on January 12, 2009, 05:37:10 AM
Yep, "Defender of the Faith". Originally a title bestowed by the Pope on King Henry VIII for openly opposing the Reformation. When Henry went Protestant himself, he and his descendants continued to use the title, to signify their headship of the Church of England.

It also appears on Australian predecimal coins, normally abbreviated as "F:D:". I believe Australia and Britain were the only countries in the Empire/Commonwealth to routinely include this title on the coins. Early series Australian coins of Elizabeth II are known as "Godless coins" because the Mint forgot to include "F:D:" in the titles.

Thus the forces opposed to the Papists use a title given to them by the Papists.  Ironic yes?

scottishmoney

BTW on the Norway coins, that 1960's era coinage is one of the most fascinating around, the 1 ore has a squirrel on it - fitting for a small coin.  I would like to find a mint set ca. 1964-65 or so of that coinage.

AdamL

Thank you very much everyone.
Yass, that site looks like it will be very helpfull.
And UkrainiChetire, I agree, and I would like to find one of those sets as well.
-Adam
Knight Of The Coin Table #103