Look what arrived today!

Started by AuldFartte, October 05, 2007, 08:30:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

AuldFartte

I'm surprised I actually got this from the mint. I ordered way late ...



Purty, isn't she  ;D
Tom (United States)
Knight #45

CoinCrusader42

Good for you!!

We received our two coins, as did our daughter.

Our oldest son is due to get his also.

They are very nice coins.

I prefer the proof.

Unfortunately, too rich for me.  So, we'll probably only have the Jefferson Spouse coins.  At $400 plus per coin, I don't see us buying any more down the road.

However, we are happy to have the Jefferson.

:) :) :) :)

scottishmoney

I wonder what Jefferson's wife looked like?  Probably not like Anne Willing Bingham.

AuldFartte

They are pricey, so this one is the only one I plan on buying. I wouldn't have even considered getting one, but the design on the Jefferson is beautiful and I had to have it  ;D
Tom (United States)
Knight #45

CoinCrusader42

scottishmoney,

Going back to the biographies I have read about Jefferson, I think the wife was quite attractive, at least by standards of the day.

:) :) :) :)

scottishmoney

Quote from: CoinCrusader42 on October 07, 2007, 03:48:51 PM
scottishmoney,

Going back to the biographies I have read about Jefferson, I think the wife was quite attractive, at least by standards of the day.

:) :) :) :)

The woman on the Morgan Dollar was considered quite a looker in her day, but frankly I don't concur. 

Humpybong


Still a very nice item to have in one's collection.

:D
Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"

scottishmoney


What the real Martha Jefferson looked like.

Madspec

Quote from: CoinCrusader42 on October 07, 2007, 03:48:51 PM
scottishmoney,

Going back to the biographies I have read about Jefferson, I think the wife was quite attractive, at least by standards of the day.

:) :) :) :)

From her Biography ---Family tradition says that she was accomplished and beautiful--with slender figure, hazel eyes, and auburn hair--and wooed by many.

So she must have been a good looking woman for that era.

madspec
SIR MADSPEC  KNIGHT #57
TO SERVE WITH Honor,Respect,and Loyalty

ElleKitty

Don't forget, she may have had a personality that made her more beautiful than just the exterior.
Do add this coin to my collection?
 
   Cat?      Australian?              US?                Really Old?
  |    |        |      |                   |    |                   |     |
Yes  No     Yes   No              Yes  No                Yes   No
  |       |     |       |                 |    |                   |     |
(YES!) (?) (Yes!) (?)           (Nope) (?)             (YES!) (?)

scoutjim99


CoinCrusader42

I taught Presidential history for many years, and almost all Jefferson biographies described his wife as attractive.

I think it's just a matter of what was considered attractive at the time.

Also, the dress, hair fashion, makeup or lack thereof, all played a role.

:) :) :) :)

GregK

 :D  4 x rolls of 2007 State quarters and 1 x 2006 roll!!!  Many thanks!! The the fact that we can exchange in and commet on our hobby in an friendly manner makes this a great place to be.

CoinCrusader42

Two things.

First, I don't see why President's wives aren't on all the spouse coins with the exception of Buchanan.  So what if they weren't the First Lady.  They were the President's wives.

Secondly, does anyone know if the Jefferson spouse coins sold out?  And, what the final mintage was?

:) :) :) :)

S.George

 :D

Hi:
The coin is wonderful.   Ms. Martha Jefferson looks very beautiful
George/India
It is by giving others, we actually receive from G