Maybe we'll have to rewrite the record books

Started by Sap, November 03, 2007, 02:58:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Sap

Check out this find on the FORVM Ancient Coins forum.

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=41190

Sure, it wasn't officially issued like that, but it predates the Model Pennies by 1500 years or so. Think it sets a new record for oldest known privately issued bimetallic coin?  ;) ;D
KoCT #21

The early bird gets the worm, sure, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Triggersmob

I'm not a member of FORVM, so I can't access the picture. Can you grab the pic and post it here.

Whatever it is, I bet BM1947 would like it.
Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 260

Sap

:-[ Sorry, I forgot that non-members can't normally see FORVM pics. I'll see what I can do.



Is that working for everyone, or does it red-X for everyone but me? FORVM and KOTCT are both Simple Machines based forums; maybe the picture encoding will translate across.

Latest opinion over there is it might be Byzantine, rather than Roman. In which case, it wouldn't be record-breaking. The Axumites in Ethiopia had bimetallic coins before this. Here's an example on CoinArchives of a bimetallic Axumite coin from around 525 AD; a base-silver coin with small flakes of gold leaf pressed into it.
KoCT #21

The early bird gets the worm, sure, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

ElleKitty

I can see the picture, but I almost wish I hadn't.  Eek, that's ugly.
Do add this coin to my collection?
 
   Cat?      Australian?              US?                Really Old?
  |    |        |      |                   |    |                   |     |
Yes  No     Yes   No              Yes  No                Yes   No
  |       |     |       |                 |    |                   |     |
(YES!) (?) (Yes!) (?)           (Nope) (?)             (YES!) (?)

Triggersmob

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 260

Humpybong


I cannot see any pictures at all......found this with some pictures but can see others????

Do you know what format the picture is in.
Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"

Sap

OK, I just found out that this forum actually does have an "attach picture" option, in the "Additional options" down at the bottom of the Post Reply box. Here's the file, attached and referenced right here on the KOTCT forum.
KoCT #21

The early bird gets the worm, sure, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

ElleKitty

So -that's- what's wrong!

Whenever someone attaches a picture, I can't see a bloomin' thing!  But I can see anything with the IMG and /IMG tags.
Do add this coin to my collection?
 
   Cat?      Australian?              US?                Really Old?
  |    |        |      |                   |    |                   |     |
Yes  No     Yes   No              Yes  No                Yes   No
  |       |     |       |                 |    |                   |     |
(YES!) (?) (Yes!) (?)           (Nope) (?)             (YES!) (?)