Kennedy Half Oddity

Started by CoinCrusader42, October 05, 2007, 10:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CoinCrusader42

I was just looking at some Kennedy Half Dollars I plan to mail to triggersmob.

I had them stacked up and happened to look at the reeding.  Out of about 15 coins I saw that three had no reeding whatsoever.

Does this seem a little strange?  Especially since the Kennedy Half Dollars seldom circulate.  Anybody else note a lack of reeding?

:) :) :) :)

AuldFartte

I've seen a lot of Kennedys, but never one without reeding.
Tom (United States)
Knight #45

jdrhodes

Yes I picked up some Kennedy Halves at the local credit union and found a well-worn 1998 P that has no reeding...since it's pretty beat up I assumed it had been defaced, but the edge is clean looking, not marred in anyway, or uneven.  I don't know if that helps you at all or not, if you find some more information out please post, I have to admit I'm curious.

CoinCrusader42

I did receive one theory, which I guess is a remote possibility.

The thought was that the coins may have come from Reno or Las Vegas, and continual use in slot machines may have worn off the reeding.

No question about it -- it's darn strange.

:) :) :) :)

Madspec

I have handled a lot of Kennedy's and never saw one like you describe.  I will have to go back through the Half dollar safe and check to see if I can find any.

madspec
SIR MADSPEC  KNIGHT #57
TO SERVE WITH Honor,Respect,and Loyalty