Interesting Finds From Circulation

Started by CoinCrusader42, October 05, 2007, 11:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CoinCrusader42

This will be the fourth forum in which I have started this thread.

It has proven of interest in the other forums, and has had better than 40,000 hits in two different forums.

Perhaps the Knights and Knightesses will also find it of interest.

I'll start it off with a most interesting find today.

We all realize that the Presidential Dollar won't circulate.  However, one did today.

While receiving change at the photo section of our WalMart store, I was given a Jefferson Dollar!  BU.  D mint.

:) :) :) :)

GregK

Every week or so, my Wife empties her purse of coin and I go through to see if there are any decent oddities.  Last night, I turned up a 1997 10 cent piece in good EF.  These are listed at around $60 in UNC.

Humpybong



Your lucky....its the other way round in my house......more money for shopping not collecting.


:D
Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"

Topher

Got a 1933 George V cent yesterday.  It stands out very easily since the reverse of all Canadian coins has been mostly the same since 1936.  That's my oldest Canadian find in circulation, but I once got a 1926 wheat cent in change, so that remains my oldest find from circulation.

scottishmoney

My oldest Canadian in change is also a 1933 cent.  I come across GVI's from time to time, one about every month or so.  Just the other day I got a 1953 QEII at the P.O.  I just wish I could get the old 12 sided nickels  in change still.

CoinCrusader42



Topher

Got a shiny Bermuda cent in change yesterday.  The pig where the maple leaves should be is what threw me off.

scottishmoney

1945 GVI cent, only real good find in roll searches so far today.

CoinCrusader42

dustin43160, Actually this is the fifth or sixth British coin I've found in the last few years.  Maybe tourists bring them back from the UK, or maybe people visiting here from England pass them off.

:) :) :) :)

dustin43160

wow i wsh  would find one!! would be better than the usual wheatie eh?

scottishmoney

The most unusual British coin I have come across in circulation is the heptagonal 20 pence piece, masquerading as a nickel.  I have even gotten Aussie 5¢ masquerading as dimes though.

Yesterday I did the 2500 cent box thang again for the first time in months.  It steeeeuuuuunk. 

CANADA
GVI
1945
1950
QEII
1961
1962 X 2
1964

USA
Wheats
1945
1951-D
1952-D

S- Mints
1969
1972
1973
1974 X 2

Far less wheats than the usual 10-12, but the couple of GVI cents helped since they are a bit tougher to find.  So now the rejects go back and I will get another box from another bank, hopefully better.

dustin43160

ive gotton a 1966 one peso from spain, many canadian coins and a 100 yen coin which i traded when i was ten for some pokemon cards..now i wish i would of kept the coin... got many more but running on no sleep ill add later!!

dustin43160

first of all i found a holed 1846 pennie on the road.ive also found 1990 50 peice in circ,the amsh found me an 1965 2 pfennig, found a 1971 50 rupiah in a roll of quarters, and a 2000 five cent peice from the bahamas.

CoinCrusader42

I was looking through my change tonight and was pleasently surprised by finding a 1941 D Jefferson nickel.  High rim.  EF.  It's a very nice coin.

:) :) :) :)

tyjulie


Triggersmob

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 260

Humpybong


Excellent you do not find many of those in circulation tyjulie
Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"

tyjulie

only found 1 of this type.
found a us dime 2000 in a roll of 5c

scottishmoney

I went through another 2500 cent lot, this more disappointing than the one earlier in the week.

USA
Wheat
1947
1955-D

S-Mints
1969
1970 X 2
1972
1974

Canada
GVI
1943
1947

QEII

1959
1961
1963 X 2
1964

Last year I was going through these boxes up until this summer, I averaged anywhere from 10-14 wheats per box, some as early as 1910.  I had lots more early QEII Canadians too.  The craziest finds were German and French â,¬.02 coins, Bermuda Cents, Bahamas etc.  Now it is not worth taking a couple of hours to check through these, maybe I will move back to nickels again.

Topher

Quote from: tyjulie on October 13, 2007, 06:20:26 AM
only found 1 of this type.
found a us dime 2000 in a roll of 5c

I've found the reverse, twice actually.  (Ok, they were in rolls of Canadian dimes, but you get the hint! :) )  I believe the Aussie 10c is the same size as our quarter, or at least it's really close, but I have yet to find one of those in circulation.  Good thing as I have about 20+ of them already.

scottishmoney

Quote from: tyjulie on October 13, 2007, 05:34:49 AM
Got this coin in change


Interesting when you consider there are now only three Anzacs left:

Choules, Claude Stanley    01901-03-03 3 March 1901    106    British    Royal Navy    Joined the Royal Navy in 1916; subsequently emigrated to Australia in 1920 and served with Royal Australian Navy in the Second World War.[1][2]
Lucas, Sydney (Syd)    01900-09-21 21 September 1900    107    British    British Army â€" 1st Sherwood Foresters    Did not see action because he was still in training when the war ended. Moved to Australia in 1928 and served in the Australian Army in WWII.[3]
Ross, John Campbell    01899-03-11 11 March 1899    108    Australian    Australian Army    Wireless operator and last Australian digger.[4]

tyjulie

scottishmoney
do u have a coin like this. if not do u want it

CoinCrusader42

Wow, another war nickel!!

1943 S  About fine.

:) :) :) :)

TwoShadows

Old Dan I wouldn't bank on that one! Probably if the truth was known whoever had the darn thing looked at it and saw how butt ugly it was so they ran out and spent it! They look like play money to me and are nothing more than cheap renditions of the U.S. Mints Presidential medal program.

Now I would like to see some Sackies circulate but I hate to drive to Ecuador to see them!
Terry


"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)

Nevol

scottishmoney, If you like the coin posted by tyjulie, it's been offered to you & as they're not meant to be in circulation, it's deemed to be a pretty 'good' find. Issue price was only $2, but in my opinion, it's worth having.
Ne♥ol~Nancy
KOTCT #46
Queensland, Australia
Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved.

scottishmoney

Actually I need to connive one or more Ozzies on a big trade.  Will post in the advert area.

Sap

My dad gave me two Fiji coins, a 10¢ and a 20¢, he found in the church offering plate yesterday. We occasionally see Fiji coins in change down here, but two in one day hasn't happened before.
KoCT #21

The early bird gets the worm, sure, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Topher

My kids always check the Coinstar machine at the grocery store, and yesterday was no exception.  2 pennies, 1 Euro cent (German), and a 1 Paise from India!

ElleKitty

The Coinstar machine is great.  I found two of the modern Japanese yen in it some years ago. 

Then this year, I got a silver yen from the cashier in the Cafeteria.  Since I work for Toyota, somehow this didn't surprise me in the least. 
Do add this coin to my collection?
 
   Cat?      Australian?              US?                Really Old?
  |    |        |      |                   |    |                   |     |
Yes  No     Yes   No              Yes  No                Yes   No
  |       |     |       |                 |    |                   |     |
(YES!) (?) (Yes!) (?)           (Nope) (?)             (YES!) (?)

dustin43160

eh again i was watchin my siblings and my 2 year old sister handed me a quarter of course not thinking anything about it i tossed it on the coffee table. well last nite i cleaned the coffee table off and the quater is a 2003 arkansas and its a clad error! from the back of washies head to the middle of the last A in america and expands down into the ' IN GOD WE TRUST'.

i dont know if its a weird thing but this is the second error she found for me!! i would post pics but my scanner is a crap shoot

dustin

Topher

Quote from: dustin43160 on October 17, 2007, 09:31:37 AM
eh again i was watchin my siblings and my 2 year old sister handed me a quarter of course not thinking anything about it i tossed it on the coffee table. well last nite i cleaned the coffee table off and the quater is a 2003 arkansas and its a clad error! from the back of washies head to the middle of the last A in america and expands down into the ' IN GOD WE TRUST'.

i dont know if its a weird thing but this is the second error she found for me!! i would post pics but my scanner is a crap shoot

dustin

Treat your sister well......  (not that you don't already)

dustin43160

hehe shes my little shadow and when i came back from the store i had some extra candy for her ;D

Madspec

I have never had any luck with the Coinstar machines.  I keep checking but I guess someone beats me to the goodies.

madspec
SIR MADSPEC  KNIGHT #57
TO SERVE WITH Honor,Respect,and Loyalty

CoinCrusader42

I posted about this in another section, but I will mention it here, because it does come from circulation.

A clerk at a convenience store took a $10 bill out of the cash register for me.  Series 1950.  Very nice condition.

:) :) :) :)


tyjulie


CoinCrusader42

I have a couple of these, thanks to my Australian friends.

:) :) :) :)

Triggersmob

The wife found me 6 x 2007 $2 coins today.
First ones I've seen apart from in a mint set.
Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 260

Humpybong


Received my first 2007 20cent piece in change yesterday.   First one I have seen except in a mint set.
Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"

Triggersmob

In Perth we have had the 20 cent nearly all year.

If I had known you needed that I would have sent you a couple.
Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 260

tyjulie

Trigger
are the 2007 $2 coin dull as reported or are they bright like the 2006.

Triggersmob

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 260

tyjulie

searched through $200 worth of 50c coins today to find two of these coins.
kept one and gave the other one away


50c 2000 millennum year coin
the flag of the coin is incused


CoinCrusader42

tyjulie, I have a couple of these, thanks to my Australian friends.

It is one of my favorite coins.

:) :) :) :)

Topher

Today my local bank offered to sell me 2000D Sacs for $1 each.  (even though their currently only worth about 96.5 cents each.  LOL   So, of course I took five.

CoinCrusader42

Adams Presidential Dollar, from WalMart.

:) :) :) :)

ElleKitty

Do add this coin to my collection?
 
   Cat?      Australian?              US?                Really Old?
  |    |        |      |                   |    |                   |     |
Yes  No     Yes   No              Yes  No                Yes   No
  |       |     |       |                 |    |                   |     |
(YES!) (?) (Yes!) (?)           (Nope) (?)             (YES!) (?)

dustin43160

i have one of each sackie from 2007 for the p and d mint i paid 1.50 usd for each!!

ElleKitty

I bought my 2007 Sacs from the coin store, P & D both.  They may have some left, I can certainly find out for you?  They don't charge much, maybe not even the $1.50. 
Do add this coin to my collection?
 
   Cat?      Australian?              US?                Really Old?
  |    |        |      |                   |    |                   |     |
Yes  No     Yes   No              Yes  No                Yes   No
  |       |     |       |                 |    |                   |     |
(YES!) (?) (Yes!) (?)           (Nope) (?)             (YES!) (?)

dustin43160

i got mine from valleycoin.com which i just checked and there going for $1.95 8) glad i bought em earliers ;D

CoinCrusader42

I bought mine yesterday from International Coin Company in Grand Junction, Colorado.

She picked out the best she had, and sold them to me for $1.50 each.

:) :) :) :)

dustin43160

went to mcdonalds and got a 1964 nickle and its about ms couldnt belive the shape its in!!

TwoShadows

In the 60,s, 70,s and 80,s I could bet you, almost at any time, that you had a 64 nickel in your pocket and win the bet. Literally unheard of striking of the 64 nickel. We had a coin shortage in the 60s which they blamed on collectors, which was far from the truth, so huge numbers of various coins were minted to catch up with the system! Who knows, that 64 you found may have been someones piggy bank all these years?
Terry


"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)

CoinCrusader42

When my wife and I worked on our Jefferson Nickel collections, probably one of every 10 nickels we searched through was dated 1964.

:) :) :) :)

dustin43160

Quote from: CoinCrusader42 on November 04, 2007, 06:15:09 PM
When my wife and I worked on our Jefferson Nickel collections, probably one of every 10 nickels we searched through was dated 1964.

:) :) :) :)

same here and i find alot form the 50s too but ill send this one to an aussie for an trade hehe :P

AdamL

I was keeping all my 64 nickels in a pile for a while. I finally cashed in like 20 dollars worth.
-Adam
Knight Of The Coin Table #103

Dumanyu

Here's one a found a while ago, but it wasn't until I studied it under a microscope, did I find some interesting defects...




dustin43160

wow nice find!! how far were you magnifying it??

Dumanyu

These are off the QX5 microscope. The first is 10x, the other 2 are 60x. Here's one at 200x.

dustin43160

wow neato!! cant wait to get a micro ;D but currently i search every penny i get my hands on with a 20x loupe.. good for rainy days ;)

tyjulie


tyjulie


Triggersmob

Tyjulie, That's some nice finds there.

Great work.
Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 260

Humpybong



There are so many of these type of coins in circulation, I wonder if they were stolen at some time and the spend due to the person not knowing what they had.

I must say I am thinking of kids rather than adults.

It is a shame that good coins like these go into circulation therefor loseing there value to a collector.
Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"

CoinCrusader42

Dumanyu, Great photography.

The date on the dime is of interest to me because that's my birth year!!

:) :) :) :)

Dumanyu

Quote from: CoinCrusader42 on November 09, 2007, 03:28:26 AM
Dumanyu, Great photography.

The date on the dime is of interest to me because that's my birth year!!

:) :) :) :)

Thanks,
    Amazingly enough I had it for years, but never noticed the doubling, until I bought a portable 30x microscope.
At first I thought it may have been an over date, but I doubt it. :(

CoinCrusader42


CoinCrusader42

I really don't know what I have here.  It is roughly the same size and color as a U.S. dime, and I received it in change today.

I think it's Polish.

The obverse features an eagle, and the words Rzeczpospolita Polska  On the reverse:  20 Groszy.

Is it from Poland?  Anybody know?

:) :) :) :)

ElleKitty

Does it look like this? 

If so, then it's Polish. 
Do add this coin to my collection?
 
   Cat?      Australian?              US?                Really Old?
  |    |        |      |                   |    |                   |     |
Yes  No     Yes   No              Yes  No                Yes   No
  |       |     |       |                 |    |                   |     |
(YES!) (?) (Yes!) (?)           (Nope) (?)             (YES!) (?)

dustin43160

today i found my second star note in my pocket!!! its a 2003series the serial is G05713991* hehe made my day!!

CoinCrusader42


CoinCrusader42

Counting my change tonight and I find a Spanish coin in my pocket.

Francisco Franco on the obverse.

Spain, 1957, 5 ptas, VF.

:) :) :) :)

CoinCrusader42

That probably explains why I have found only one coin from Spain, but numerous coins from Mexico.

The Rio Grande is not nearly as big a challenge as the Atlantic.

;D ;D ;D ;D

CoinCrusader42

This really was found in circulation -- but not by me, although it was given to me.

I have a couple of convenience store clerks who watch out for the unusual, because they know I'm a coin collector.

So, today I was given a coin from France.  I would guess it was passed off as a nickel.  It's about that size.

It really is a nice little coin.

France. 10 Centimes.  1992.  AU

:) :) :) :)

Dumanyu

Found a couple of Italian Euros coins in the discard slot of one of those Coinstar machines at my local supermarket. Usually you may find some canadian pennies or a nickel in there, but I always look when I walk past.

GregK

When I collected Aust dollar coins (exchange with the bank) I often got US quarters, NZ $2 and $E1 Euros.

CoinCrusader42

I thought this tidbit of information might be of interest.

I started "Interesting Finds From Circulation" on two other forums.  Just out of curiosity, I checked on them today, and here's what I found.

Coin Talk -- 1,220 replies, 35,185 views
CCF -- 1,291 replies, 45,119 views

It's likely to be years before we reach those numbers, but who knows.

:) :) :) :)

Goose

"Gal", "You were 'just' visiting?", "You gave her money?"  Just what where you up to OldDan?

CoinCrusader42

Speaking of Cody, that's where we stayed for a day before going to Yellowstone.  I remember a nice restaurant there, and our motel was also good, run by friendly people.

:) :) :) :)

CoinCrusader42


dsking

Finally received a Presidential dollar in change!  What?  You have to ask for them?  Anyway...it was actually my Husband that received it in change.  He brought it home to me...handed it to me and then...........as I was turning it over to see which Pres it is - I dropped it and it rolled under the stove!  So much for the condition now.  I've been sick with the flu and I guess that I couldn't even hold onto a coin!  Oh my!  Anywho...it's Mr. Jefferson which I didn't have until now.  Yippee! (ps:  Am feeling much better today)

CoinCrusader42

Deb, Get well soon.

My latest find is a Belguim 5 Francs, 1974.

Condition Fine.

Size of a quarter.

:) :) :) :)

Goose

Went into a bank today and as usual, I looked at the tray of coins across the counter that the teller hands out in change. What the...? A silver rimmed coin in the quarter trough? I asked for it and got it....a 1944(p) silver quarter. Since silver is around $14.68/oz now (NY), it was nice to get $2.70 in silver for only 25c. ($14.68/oz equates to 10.8 X face value for a 90% silver U S A coin.)

henselen

 ::) ::)just went thru a roll of dimes and got a french coin, sized like a dime, looks about new and canada dime, nice coins.

CoinCrusader42

1996 JFK Half Dollar, D, AU.

Seldom get Kennedy Half Dollars.

Wish they would get rid of the $1 bill, and I bet the Kennedys would start circulating again.  Well, at least the new dollars.

:) :) :) :)

CoinCrusader42

1988 Denver Kennedy Half Dollar with no reeding.

Must have been to Las Vegas or Reno!!

:) :) :) :)

CoinCrusader42

At my bank drive-up today, the teller asked me "Would you like one of those big dollars?"  I said sure, and now am the owner of a  1972 Denver Ike, BU!!

:) :) :) :)

Humpybong



WOW...can you go back and get me one?


     ;D
Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"

CoinCrusader42

Only one they had.  I asked.

Funny thing though.  I remember as recently as a couple years ago, the bank always seemed to have several.  I just wasn't into IKE collecting.

You don't see them anymore, and that's why I'm happy I grabbed that one.

:) :) :) :)

scottishmoney

It has been many moons since I have gotten an Ike at the bank, I managed to accumulate about 500 or so of them before they started disappearing.

Triggersmob

Found a Bradman 20c in the till at work today. First one I have seen in a while.

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 260

Topher

I don't think I've handled a single coin yet in circulation this year!  LOL

CoinCrusader42

Good Old WalMart!!

Two Sacagaweas in change.

Both 2000.  One P mint and one D.

The Philadelphia was BU, and the Denver mint had turned the color of a penny (ooops, cent).

:) :) :) :)

henselen

yes, got the rolls of nickles home, went thru them, one roll showed up with five nickles from the 1940's, all pretty fine shape, surprised to find very few of the 2004 and 2005  nickles anymore.   also, two near new and shiny canadian niks, nice find for me. ;D

CoinCrusader42

Minnesota Statehood Quarter.

Two thing I thought were unusual.

First, it was BU.  Not a mark on it.

Secondly, it was a Philadelphia mint coin.

We seldom ever see P mint in Colorado, especially on new coins.

:) :) :) :)

ElleKitty

Got the new Oklahoma quarters in change, today!  they're gorgeous. Definitely one of the nicer State Quarters put out, IMO.  :D
Do add this coin to my collection?
 
   Cat?      Australian?              US?                Really Old?
  |    |        |      |                   |    |                   |     |
Yes  No     Yes   No              Yes  No                Yes   No
  |       |     |       |                 |    |                   |     |
(YES!) (?) (Yes!) (?)           (Nope) (?)             (YES!) (?)

scottishmoney

I got a couple of the Oklahoma quarters in change in West Palm on Tuesday, they are attractive, but I don't think of Oklahoma when I see them.

TwoShadows

Oddly enough  I think of birds! ;D While I do admit it is a unique design I would of pictured something more "western" or "historical" out of Oklahoma. But after selling our quarter to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway I realize anything is acceptable!
Terry


"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)

scottishmoney

I searched through 7 $25.00 boxes of cents, with the cooperation and even
some encouragement from several of my local banks tellers over the last 4
days.  Cent boxes are getting a bit hard to find now, I do know I have
competition for them, so now you have to get in good with the tellers(one of
them collects coins, so I sell her goodies at face to save stuff for me)

So for 4 days of sifting through cents I came up with the following:

      USA
      Wheats
      1916-D
      1917-D
      1920
      1924
      1932-D
      1935-S
      1936
      1937
      1941
      1942 X2
      1942-D
      1944 X 2
      1945 X 3
      1945-D X 3
      1946 X 4
      1946-D X 3
      1947-D
      1948
      1948-S
      1950-D X 3
      1951-D X 3
      1952-D X 2
      1952-D  X 2
      1952-S
      1953
      1953-D X 4
      1954-D
      1955 X 2
      1955-D X 2
      1956-D X 6
      1957-D X 6
      1958 X 2
      1958-D

      S Mints
      1969-S X 3
      1970-S X 7
      1971-D X 2
      1972-D X 2
      1974-S X 7

      1973 Lincoln cent that appears to be struck in another metal, not
magnetic, and if it is plated it was skillfully done, because it appears to
have original mint lustre still.

      6 cupronickel Roosevelt dimes masquerading as cents in hand rolled
rolls.

      CANADA
      George VI
      1940
      1941
      1942
      1945 X 2

      Elizabeth II YH
      1956
      1957 X 2
      1958
      1959 X 2
      1960 X 2
      1961 X 2
      1962 X 4
      1963 X 8
      1964 X 22

      Elizabeth II 1967 Commem
      1967 X 3

      Errors
      1976 with approximately 10% clip at 1:00 o'clock.

      FRANCE
      2 â,¬urocent dated 1999


      On Saturday I returned the Zincolns to the bank coin machine, and the
total payback came to something like $36.72 so the teller gave me the 72¢ in
change.  This would become the best find of all, a 1945 Washington quarter,
in silver of course.  I asked if she had anymore like it but alas no.