The Last of the Trickels - 1889 3 Center

Started by scottishmoney, September 26, 2010, 06:08:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

scottishmoney

I have a thing about 3 cent coins, maybe along the lines that Nohope has about the 2 centers.  I have several of them from 1865 on up, but always wanted the last year of them - 1889.  The 1889's are fairly easy to find nice BU or Proof examples of, it being the last year a lot of them were saved by collectors.  In fact 18,125 coins were minted in total - a small mintage - but actually quite a bit more than any other date since the 1881.  Because of the curiosity surrounding the coins not many of them actually made it into circulation as circulated examples are rather far an' in betwixt to find.


This is one of the few, the proud, the ones that served their country dutifully probably into the very early 20th century.  Like the 2 cent coins, they were never overly popular, but as money they did see some circulation long after they were issued, particularly in rural areas of the country.  My grandfather got a 2 cent piece from his brother when he was six years old in 1897 and kept it until he gave it to me when I was a young boy in the 1970's.

Pocketcoins

Really nice coin. I only have one 3 cent but I still like them a lot.  ;D

Nighthawk

NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
ART LOVER
AMATEUR HISTORIAN & PHILOSOPHER
GRANDFATHER of 9
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971

EgCollector

a very beautiful coin, thanks for sharing  :)
Amr :) :) :)

Knight #107

Triggersmob

Very nice coin.
Is this your? Have you completed the set now?
Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 260

Templar

I HAVE A FEW OF THE 3 CENTERS AND THEY ARE UNIQUE---THANKS FOR REMINDING ME----I WILL SEE IF I CAN LOCATE THEM
DRUID
HUMAN  RIGHTS DEFENDER
SWAGMAN/HOBO
BARD
TIME WAS INVENTED SO EVERYTHING WOULD NOT HAPPEN AT ONCE!

scottishmoney

Quote from: triggersmob on September 26, 2010, 06:27:02 PM
Very nice coin.
Is this your? Have you completed the set now?

I have too many collecting pursuits to ever "finish" any of them.  The closest I have come in any USA coins are Mercuries, all from bags or rolls I have purchased - I have the two 1921 dates, but of course not the 1916-D - it is one I am not interested enough in completing the set to bother buying.