Found this Edward I penny for only

Started by Groat, July 18, 2014, 01:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Groat

Over 700 years old!

King Edward I
Born 1239
Reigned 1272

Edit: Strange, it automatically edited the price out of the title - is it taboo to discuss prices?

Triggersmob

Nice coin.
No it's not taboo to discuss prices, so let us know what you paid.  :)
Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 260

Sap

Maybe the forum software didn't like the currency symbol you used?  ???
KoCT #21

The early bird gets the worm, sure, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Triggersmob

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 260

Triggersmob

The pound symbol and everything after that, did not appear in my above test.
So I think Sap might be on the money.  :)
Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 260

Groat


Sap

I bought a very similar one for AU$16 from a local auction house back in 1998, but I haven't seen even common hammered pennies sell that cheaply this millennium... not down here, at any rate. They're usually more like AU$50-plus now.

Of course, they're likely to be much cheaper over there where the skilled and the fortunate can just go out and dig one (or more) up out of the ground.
KoCT #21

The early bird gets the worm, sure, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Templar

[color=purple I HAVE TWO OF THESE COINS  I BELIEVE EDWARD I WAS CALLED [/color]LONG SHANKS AND HE RULED WHEN THE SCOTS ROSE IN REBELLION UNER WILLIAM WALLACE---LOOKING T THE FACE ON THE COIN,I WOULD HAVE BEHEADED THE MINTER----HE LOOKS LIKE A CLOWN!
DRUID
HUMAN  RIGHTS DEFENDER
SWAGMAN/HOBO
BARD
TIME WAS INVENTED SO EVERYTHING WOULD NOT HAPPEN AT ONCE!

Paint Your Wagon

Many times I had everything disappear after a dollar or pound sign or even
colons or quote signs etc
It is impossible to type anything in french because the software does not like
a or e letters with accents on top
Where I am going I ain't certain
Where I am going I don't know
All I know is that I'am on my way

Groat

Quote from: templar on July 19, 2014, 07:59:30 AM
[color=purple I HAVE TWO OF THESE COINS  I BELIEVE EDWARD I WAS CALLED [/color]LONG SHANKS AND HE RULED WHEN THE SCOTS ROSE IN REBELLION UNER WILLIAM WALLACE---LOOKING T THE FACE ON THE COIN,I WOULD HAVE BEHEADED THE MINTER----HE LOOKS LIKE A CLOWN!

Exactly! He beseiged Caerlaverock Castle which I used to live down the road from.

SirStacksALot

That is a nice silver penny!!! Is 16 GBP the going rate for a 700 year old silver penny from your area, or did you just get very lucky?

Groat

Quote from: SirStacksALot on July 21, 2014, 02:30:40 AM
That is a nice silver penny!!! Is 16 GBP the going rate for a 700 year old silver penny from your area, or did you just get very lucky?

They're hardly worth a fortune, but I'm pretty sure I saved a few quid!

As you can see the portrait isn't in great condition anyway. If I was willing to fork out 4-5 times the price on ebay I could have a much nicer example, but I'll leave that option for the future for now, since I have my eye on some other items.

Groat

Got this Henry VI groat today!

Triggersmob

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 260

Templar

Quote from: Groat on July 31, 2014, 03:50:22 PM
Got this Henry VI groat today!

ISN'T THIS AN EDWARD I------NOT HENRY VI?

                        YOUR FRIEND--------THE TEMPLAR
DRUID
HUMAN  RIGHTS DEFENDER
SWAGMAN/HOBO
BARD
TIME WAS INVENTED SO EVERYTHING WOULD NOT HAPPEN AT ONCE!

Groat

Quote from: templar on July 31, 2014, 07:18:41 PM
Quote from: Groat on July 31, 2014, 03:50:22 PM
Got this Henry VI groat today!

ISN'T THIS AN EDWARD I------NOT HENRY VI?

                        YOUR FRIEND--------THE TEMPLAR

The original post is an Edward I penny. The post you quoted is a Henry VI groat. The lettering's worn but you can see it actually does say "HENRY" or "HENRIA DI GRA." (abbreviated mediaeval latin for "Henry by the grace of God") from the top right above the face. Then it says he's king of England and France.