Belgium Coins.

Started by Triggersmob, October 09, 2015, 08:37:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Triggersmob

Just wanted to share some of my Belgium coins with you.
Some of these you need 4 coins each year as they have
2 languages on them and then coin and medal alignment.

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 260

TKO

 :-\  Well...I learned something today. I didn't know that their coins were called centimes and franc's. Maybe I should "pay" more attention instead of just looking at the pictures....

I feel so stupid sometimes.  ???
TKO-100

SirStacksALot

I like the 1905 2 Centimes.  I like the design with the lion.  I wonder if the lion symbolizes something, or they just picked it because it looks cool.

TKO

My favorite is all of them! Each seems to have its own level of character and where would they solicit designs? Not just these but coins in general. The 1989 one franc looks almost like a Mercedes hood ornament symbol.
TKO-100

Redlock

Quote from: SirStacksALot on October 09, 2015, 12:22:57 PM
I like the 1905 2 Centimes.  I like the design with the lion.  I wonder if the lion symbolizes something, or they just picked it because it looks cool.

Leo Belgicus (''The Belgian Lion'') is part of Belgiums coat of arms. The Lion has always been a popular heraldic device in this part of Europe.
Germany

Humpybong



And now they use Euros.  I do like bi-mettalic coins and have a large collection of them.

Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"

Triggersmob

Quote from: humpybong on October 09, 2015, 03:29:58 PM
I do like bi-mettalic coins ...

Here's a couple of Belgian bi-metallics for you. (You probably have them in your collection)

Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 260

Paint Your Wagon

Quote from: TKO on October 09, 2015, 12:35:09 PM
My favorite is all of them! Each seems to have its own level of character and where would they solicit designs? Not just these but coins in general. The 1989 one franc looks almost like a Mercedes hood ornament symbol.

Belgium is a really strange country
The Spanish walked through here on their way to Holland
Napoleon choose it as his final battle ground
It was for some time part of the Netherlands
Margareta from Austria had her seat here with Mechelen as the end of the stage couch
The lion is part of the Duchy of Brabant

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duchy_of_Brabant

Belgium got born in 1830 and imported a king since it was made clear that a republic would not be acceptable
Historically we are very close to France

Nowadays there are three governments
The Flemish have taken the Lion as their freedom symbol
The Walloons have taken the rooster like the French
The Germans I do no know

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Flanders

Several countries had the frank or franc as name of the money and 100 centimes to the frank
France - Belgium- Luxemburg- Switzerland   

The franc was created by Jean II le bon of france on 5 dec 1360 to replace the pound tournois

attached his a picture of the very first franc 3.88 grams of gold

http://www.herodote.net/5_decembre_1360-evenement-13601205.php

In my ebay days I have been bidding on this franc a cheval ( on horseback )
but it is so thin that many were torn or folded or badly hammered and good examples allways went a lot
more then I was willing to pay
Where I am going I ain't certain
Where I am going I don't know
All I know is that I'am on my way

Paint Your Wagon

This is a 1981 modern recoining with the pattern of the first franc
10 000 pieces 6.45 gr gold




Where I am going I ain't certain
Where I am going I don't know
All I know is that I'am on my way

Pocketcoins

Pretty coin   :o Just nothing like good old gold  8) 8)


Humpybong


Thanks for the history information PTW.

I am always learning something new here in the castle.  So many knowledgeable Knights and Knightesses.

The gold coin looks great as well......nice and shiny.

I still like silver.....and I can afford silver as well....... ;D

Barry
Brisbane, Australia
Forum Administrator

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"

Triggersmob

I agree. Thanks for the history lesson August.
I didn't know Belgium had 3 governments.  ;D


Steve
(From Western Australia)

OFEC count 260

SirStacksALot

That is a lot of interesting information August.  How much were the original gold francs going for on ebay when you were trying to grab one?

Paint Your Wagon

Quote from: SirStacksALot on October 11, 2015, 08:56:56 PM
That is a lot of interesting information August.  How much were the original gold francs going for on ebay when you were trying to grab one?

They were about 10 times the gold price around 1000 to 1200 euro and not even centered at that price
Now they are upwards of 1400 euro see presend ebay france offerings

http://www.ebay.fr/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xfranc+a+cheval.TRS0&_nkw=franc+a+cheval&_sacat=0
Where I am going I ain't certain
Where I am going I don't know
All I know is that I'am on my way